September 2013Hi all,
After a marathon bargaining session today, FMEA and the district reached a TA (Tentative Agreement), and for the first time in five years we will get a raise. For the 2013/14 school year we will receive a 3% raise, plus an additional 2% one time bonus! This means all members will receive 5% more this year than last year (plus any step or column increases). The 3% is a permanent increase to our salary schedule, but for now, the 2% is temporary (there is some hope of making the 2% permanent). The increase is retroactive to July 1st of this year. We also received some small improvements in contract language. All of this is detailed below. The TA must be voted on by FMEA membership and ratified by the School Board before it takes effect.
Tentatively, we are planning to hold a General Meeting on Monday, September 16th, The Bargaining Team will present the TA and be available to answer questions. We will be voting the week of September 16th. If FMEA votes to approve the TA, it is expected the School Board will ratify it at the September 24th meeting.
Thank you to the FMEA Bargaining Team for all your hard work, and I would especially like to appreciate our two departing Bargaining Team members, recent retiree Jana McKinley, and Bargaining Chair Bevon Martinez, for reaching five successful contract agreements, steering us safely through the financial downturn, and bringing us this raise. Well done!
- The salary schedule shall be increased by 3%. Additionally there will be a 2% one-time bonus
- Class-size in grades two and three are reduced from 26 to 24. 24 will be our ongoing K-3 class size since the state's class size reduction program will now use 24 as a target
- Hourly pay will be increased from $37 to $39
- Class-size for all SH/autistic, SH/emotionally disturbed and SH/life-skills classes shall be limited to 10 students with the possibility of one extra student which would trigger a $10 per day payment.
- Teachers will receive $10 per student per day for SDC students who put the teacher over their class size limit more than 50% of the day
- Teachers who are transferred shall now receive $600 for materials (increased from $400)
- Teachers who provide H.R. at least five months notice before retiring shall now receive a $2000 bonus (increased from $1000)
- There shall now be a minimum of two psychologists at the preschool assessment centerCopies of the TA will be distributed and available at all sites. Feel free to email or call with any questions.Scott ShulimsonFMEA PresidentCell 831-325-0465Office: 408-272-0601 EXT. 214
General Meeting Sept 16th.