Academic Performance for All-State Eligibility
Florida Statute 1006.15 (3)(a) addresses student eligibility to participate in interscholastic extracurricular activities. Specifically the statute reads as follows:
(3)(a) To be eligible to participate in interscholastic extracurricular student activities, a student must:
1. Maintain a grade point average of 2.0 or above on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent, in the previous semester or a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent, in the courses required by s. 1003.43(1).
2. Execute and fulfill the requirements of an academic performance contract between the student, the district school board, the appropriate governing association, and the student's parents, if the student's cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, or its equivalent, on a 4.0 scale in the courses required by s. 1003.43(1).At a minimum, the contract must require that the student attend summer school, or its graded equivalent, between grades 9 and 10 or grades 10 and 11, as necessary.
To facilitate its role in assisting school districts and students in complying with this statute, FMEA in cooperation with FSMA has developed an Academic Performance Contract for Music Eligibility. This form may be used for any 9th or 10th grade student whose grade point average falls below the required 2.0 cumulative grade point average.
- At the end of the first semester in which a student's cumulative grade point average falls below the required 2.0, a student wishing to retain eligibility to participate in interscholastic extracurricular music activities is required to execute an Academic Performance Contract for Music Eligibility. This contract must also be signed by one of the student's parents, the student's principal, and the student's music director.
- The student retains the original signed contract. Copies of the contract are provided to the principal, music director, and a copy is faxed or mailed to the FMEA office.
- At the end of each semester of the 9th and 10th grade, following receipt of a contract, FMEA will send a letter to the student's principal, with a copy to the student's music director, requesting a status report. The status report simply states whether the student has improved his/her grade point average to 2.0 or greater in the previous semester. FMEA will provide a status report form with the letter to the principal to facilitate reporting.
Please note that this contract only covers All-State auditions and participation. For MPA participation, please see the FSMA Academic Performance Contract.
1-800-301-FMEA(3632) • Fax: (850) 942-1793